Golden Hills Baptist Church will be having a 7 week Bible study on the topic of “Spiritual Life.” See the ad below for more details.
GHBC will have a Christmas Eve service on Wednesday, December 24th beginning at 7:00 PM.
From Excerpts of a Few Early National Thanksgiving Proclamations
Highlighting the Duty and the Observance of the Day
November 1, 1777
A National Thanksgiving Day Proclamation
By the Continental Congress
Forasmuch as it is the indispensable duty of all men to adore the superintending providence of Almighty God; to acknowledge with gratitude their obligation to him for benefits received, and to implore such farther blessings as they stand in need of; and it having pleased him in his abundant mercy not only to continue to us the innumerable bounties of his common providence, but also smile upon us in the prosecution of a just and necessary war, for the defense and establishment of our unalienable rights and liberties; particularly in that he hath been pleased in so great a measure to prosper the means used for the support of our troops and to crown our arms with most signal success.
October 3, 1789
By George Washington, President of the United States of America
Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor.
January 1, 1795
A Day of Public Thanksgiving
By George Washington, President of the United States of America
In such a state of things it is in an especial manner our duty as a people, with devout reverence and affectionate gratitude, to acknowledge our many and great obligations to Almighty God and to implore Him to continue and confirm the blessings we experience.
March 23, 1798
By John Adams, President of the United States of America
As the safety and prosperity of nations ultimately and essentially depend on the protection and blessing of Almighty God; and the national acknowledgment of this truth is not only an indispensable duty which the people owe to Him, but a duty whose natural influence is favorable to the promotion of that morality and piety, without which social happiness cannot exist, nor the blessings of a free government be enjoyed; and as this duty, at all times incumbent, is so especially in seasons of difficulty and of danger, when existing or threatening calamities, the just judgments of God against prevalent iniquity are a loud call to repentance and reformation; and as the United States of America are at present placed in a hazardous and afflictive situation, by the unfriendly disposition, conduct and demands of a foreign power, evinced by repeated refusals to receive our messengers of reconciliation and peace, by depredations on our commerce, and the infliction of injuries on very many of our fellow citizens, while engaged in their lawful business on the seas: —Under these considerations it has appeared to me that the duty of imploring the mercy and benediction of Heaven on our country, demands at this time a special attention from its inhabitants. Continue Reading »
Sunday, April 20th we will be celebrating the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ. Our service schedule for Resurrection Sunday will not change from our regular Sunday schedule with a children’ s Sunday School at 9:30 AM; the morning service at 10:30 AM; and the evening service at 6:00 PM. We look forward to seeing you there.
The sinkhole discovered last Sunday in our parking lot has been determined to actually be a cistern measuring 6 to 4 feet in diameter and being at least 15 feet deep. An early city map shows a small structure sitting on that very site back in the 1920’s. Since the water line under Washington St. was installed in 1901, the cistern, which is nicely stoned, probably dates back to the earliest days of Lead. It will be uncapped and filled when things dry up, but in the mean time a steel plate covers the main area of concern. Thanks for everyone’s cooperation while we waited to hear exactly what was there, and a special thanks to Homestake for their work in determining what it was.
The new year is always a good time to evaluate where we are in life and make some necessary course corrections. While most people concentrate their efforts on being better physically and financially fit, too many ignore the real needs of their spirit. Why not start the new year in church where you will be able to learn the truths of God’s Word and find encouragement from others so that this year does not have to be just like last year.
On Sunday afternoon, June 30, 1963, the former Berean Baptist Church of Lead (1956-1991) officially dedicated their new building located in Lead’s Washington district. Here is an account of that dedication as written by Dr. Felix Runquist, field director of the Inter-Mountain Conservative Baptist Fellowship [now the Inter-Mountain Baptist Fellowship], in the fellowship’s monthly bulletin for July of 1963.
New Church Dedicated
Sunday, June 30, was a great day for the Berean Baptist Church of Lead, South Dakota, as they dedicated their new church edifice to God’s glory.
Dr. Arthur Allen of Laurel brought the Sunday morning message. Dr. Allen had been instrumental in establishing a Bible class in Lead which later was organized into the Berean Baptist Church on April 4, 1956.
The dedicatory service Sunday afternoon was led by Pastor George Turk. Dr. Allen gave the invocation; Rev. Bob Smoot, a former pastor, brought words of greeting followed by the reading of 2 Chronicles 7 by Rev. Herbert Fry of Newcastle.
Mrs. Morthland and Mrs. Turk presented a message in song, and your Field Director delivered the dedicatory message.
Rev. R.H. Hunt of Rapid City led the congregation in the prayer of dedication.
The Berean Baptist Church was pastored by Rev. Glen Auer at the time of its organization, but he resigned a few months later because of ill health. Rev. Bob Smoot of Moorcroft was then called as pastor and served through January of 1958.
The following April Rev. George Turk of Superior, Wisconsin, was called as pastor, and under his leadership the church went forward to build the present beautiful edifice.
The new building has a seating capacity of 120, plus a full basement for educational purposes. The total cost thus far of $17,500 includes everything but pews which will be purchased at a later date.
A $13,000 -bond issue was sold in a few weeks providing the funds needed for the construction.
The complete shell for the building was done by a contractor, but the finishing was done by volunteer labor under the capable leadership of Pastor Turk.
The same type of building erected near Chicago cost $45,000; it is a miracle what Pastor Turk was able to do with $17,000.
Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Humphries of Detroit, Michigan, childhood playmates of Pastor Turk, came all the way to Lead to be with the Turks for the happy occasion.
Other visitors besides the aforementioned pastors were several carloads of lay folk from Rapid City as well as a number of folk from Deadwood and Lead.
The dedication was also covered by the local paper The Lead Daily Call under the headline “Lead Church Is Dedicated.” An excerpt reads:
Dr. Felix Runquist, Billings, Mont. field director of the Inter-Mountain Conservative Baptist Fellowship, gave the sermon at the dedication service Sunday Afternoon. Rev. R. H. Hunt, pastor of the Bethel Baptist Church, Rapid City, offered the dedication prayer; Rev. Herbert Fry, First Baptist Church, Newcastle, Wyo., read the Scripture lesson and Rev. Robert Fulton Calvary Baptist Church, Hot Springs, gave the benediction. Special music was arranged by Mrs. George Morthland, Mrs. George E. Turk and the youth group of the church. . . .
. . . Mrs. Ray Marrs, Whitewood, was in charge of the reception with Mrs. Felix Runquist and Mrs. George Turk presiding at the refreshment table.
At the morning worship service, Dr. Arthur Allen, pastor of the First Conservative Baptist Church, Laurel, Mont., gave the sermon and Mrs. Felix Runquist was the guest soloist.
Dr. Runquist also spoke at the post dedicatory service Sunday evening which included special music by the youth group of the church.
Golden Hills Baptist Church which received Berean’s building as its own last year is planning to commemorate the 50th anniversary of that dedication during its Sunday services on June 30, 2013. Sunday services are at 10:30 AM and 6:00 PM.